As the costs of litigation have increased dramatically over the years, and the traditional legal system has become overloaded (leading to long delays in bringing matters to a conclusion), individuals and businesses are continuously looking for alternative methods to achieve a more efficient and less expensive solution to their disputes. Alternative Dispute Resolution, or “ADR”, provides just such an alternative. Mediation and arbitration are two options available through ADR.
An important distinction is that ADR is not the “first step” in litigation; it is a real alternative, providing an invaluable tool for the swift and cost-effective closure of a case.
THERE ARE MULTIPLE BENEFITS TO USING AN ADR PROCESS:
- It brings closure to the parties’ dispute
- It is a confidential process
- It may preserve relationships
- It offers a degree of control to the Parties
- It offers flexibility to the Parties
- It promotes joint problem solving